The focus of Dr. Hankerson’s research is to reduce stigma about mental illness and increase access to care. He currently has grant funding from the National Institute of Mental Health to train clergy how to identify, support and refer depressed community members to mental health specialists.
1. Sidney H. Hankerson, Young A Lee, David K. Brawley, Kenneth Braswell, Priya J. Wickramaratne, Myrna M. Weissman (2015). Screening for Depression in African American Churches. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 49(4): 526-533.
2. Alicia Lukachko, Ian Myer, Sidney H. Hankerson (2015). Religiosity and Mental Health Service Utilization among African Americans. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 203(8): 578-582.
3. Sidney H. Hankerson, Derek Suite, Rahn K. Bailey (2015). Treatment Disparities among African American Men with Depression: Implications for Clinical Practice. Journal of Healthcare for the Poor and Underserved. 26(1):21-34.
4. Myrna M. Weissman, Sidney H. Hankerson, Pamela Scorza, Mark Olfson, Helena Verdeli, Steven Shea, Rafael Lantigua, Milton Wainberg (2014). Interpersonal Counseling for Depression in Primary Care. American Journal of Psychotherapy. 68(14):359-383.
5. Laverne Williams, Robyn Gorman, Sidney H. Hankerson (2014). Implementing a Mental Health Ministry Committee in Faith-Based Organizations: The Promoting Emotional Wellness and Spirituality Program. Social Work in Health Care. 53(4):414-434.
6. Sidney H. Hankerson (2014). What’s Wrong with the Poor? Psychiatry, Race, and the War on Poverty. American Journal of Psychiatry. 171(4):470-471.
7. Sidney H. Hankerson, Kalycia T. Watson, Alicia Lukachko, Mindy T. Fullilove, Myrna M. Weissman (2013). Ministers’ Perceptions of Church-Based Programs to Provide Depression Care for African Americans. Journal of Urban Health. 90(4):685-98.
8. Sidney H. Hankerson and Myrna Weissman (2012). Church-Based Health Programs for Mental Disorders among African Americans: A Review. Psychiatric Services. 63(3):243-9.
9. Sidney H. Hankerson, Miriam C. Fenton, Timothy J. Geier, Katherine M. Keyes, Myrna M. Weissman, Deborah S. Hasin (2011). Racial Differences in Symptoms, Comorbidity, and Treatment for Major Depressive Disorder among Black and White Adults. Journal of the National Medical Association. 103(7):576-84.
Periodic blog posts by Dr. Hankerson can be found here.